Sunday, January 11, 2009

winter in the caribbean


I just celebrated my one year anniversary of life in the US Virgin Islands. This time last year, I arrived with Julian to this house - almost completely empty - and started the process of setting up our new life. And for me, the first couple of months had some challenging moments: from trying to get bank acounts and telephone accounts set up - without a social security number - to simply making my way around an island that has neither addresses nor maps ("turn left at the Smith's house then right at the yellow building to the house with the white gate.").

Julian is a fabulous little companion who consistently reminds me there are different ways to look at things. No furniture in the house? What a cool place to play ball without Mum yelling at me. And if I think back to those first couple of months from his perspective - he is a pretty resilient boy. Poor kid - new school, new (empty) house, no Dad and brother for a couple of months, and a lot of mosquitoe bites.

Of course, the high point was being reunited as a family and despite the fact that Max just about disowned me for taking off for so long - there was nothing nicer than all of us finally moving here together. And then as a family, we started new schools, started in a new business, unpacked our boxes into a new house and bought a few mosquitoe "fryers" to save the few patches of skin that were still untouched.

One year later - we are starting to feel like locals. Remember - this is a small island with minimal number of main roads - so the chances are pretty good you will drive by most everyone you know at some point during the week. And I have to laugh when I walk into our local grocery store and am greeted by "Where are Max and Julian?". Sometimes I leave the same grocery store ready to scream when I discover there is no milk and next to no fresh produce. But with a few months of shopping in St. Thomas under my belt, I now know to avoid certain stores on certain days and stock up on a few frozen things just in case all else fails.

Living in a smaller community - there has been a warm welcoming as new residents to the island. We have got to know people through the schools, sailing and work - all of whom have kept us busy with dinners, playdates and time on the water.

Business wise - we have a mere nine months under our belt. We have learned a lot - but there is still much more to absorb and translate into our own business practices. It also takes so time getting to know people and letting them get to know you. With a team of 14 - we have made a few changes and also spent some time getting to know who can do what. It's a good group - but things do work differently here and I have to remind myself - it's not the same as Vancouver. And what this means is we have been learning to be more patient with some things. I'm not saying I have become more patient - but I am learning. Mark on the other hand has amazed me with his self restraint in the crazy St. Thomas traffic.

We have been getting back to school and work this week after a few days off and a LONG school vaction break. Mark's parents are now visiting with us for a couple of weeks. It's fun to play tourist when we have visitors - as there is still a lot we have not seen. Hard to believe on an island that is 13 miles long. St. Thomas may be small but it's diverse and has a lot going on.
So onward and upward to year two and see where that takes us in our adventure. And if it's anything like the first year, I can hardly wait.



No comments: