Thursday, January 17, 2008

first week and routines.




Routines.

We create them and let them guide our day. And despite being somewhere different - we are right back to setting an alarm in the morning (which I'm uncertain as to why I bother as I have the added back-up alarms of a) Julian and b) many roosters running wild on the property.

Getting ready for school in the morning may sound easier when you can skip the step of dressing children in coats and boots. But add in the slapping on of sunscreen and some anti-bug spray - it's a similar ordeal. Julian has had two days at his new school - and it has been brilliant. The kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Qualls is lovely and Julian has already attracted a little pack of children who greet him with hugs when he arrives. Monday is Martin Luther King day - they had a class discussion and film to explain this piece of US history. I guess Mark and I will have to supplement a little Canadian history as time goes by.

This week accomplished many chores. From successfully getting the phone line hooked up - to opening a bank account, I am wondering whether this place has been getting a bad rap. I phoned two companies to get someone out to give me quotes on alarm systems -and they were both here giving me estimates the same day!

Today we jumped on the ferry to visit St. John. A 20-minute ferry ride from Red Hook - just below our house - gets us to Cruz Bay, the main town on the island. After a little shopping and exploring, we had a yummy lunch at a place on the water where the ferries came in. There is a lot more to explore on the island - especially as two-thirds of the island is a national park. We'll have to take the car next time.

There is a sailing regatta this weekend through the St. Thomas Yacht Club which we are going to explore tomorrow. It looks like there was a distance race and some racing for the kids today. It has been very windy - 25 knots of breeze the last few days. We're looking forward to getting involved in the local sailing here - and I've already started making some enquiries re-moorage if we actually bring our boat across.

(Mark - you'll be here soon and there will still be plenty of racing!)

I've come to the conclusion that shipping our furniture hasn't been a bad idea. From the stores I've seen - it's either pretty icky or outrageously expensive. Not too much advertised for second-hand furniture - and that would also mean deciphering directions to get to some one's home. There are no real addresses in St. Thomas. Everything is about landmarks and directions. "Past the marina, turn left at the green and white building - it's the three-storey building..." This also means I have to give directions to our house. I think I have it down pat now.


Time for a cup of tea and then get some groceries for dinner.


Ah yes -- routines.









No comments: