Monday, January 21, 2008

stormy weather.




We've seen some good squalls over the past few days - and it rained so hard last night and this morning that I swear the pool is a good three inches deeper. I am assuming there is some kind of over-flow system for the cisterns? Guess we'll find out.

The wind was very strong - roof is still intact - but our inflatable pool raft was launched off the deck to the chickens (the chickens were hiding - so the raft survived). Towels and bathing suits are taking a long time to dry....

It has been quite humid - which means that in addition to having really big hair - everything feels quite damp. Paper is curling at the ends and towels never really dry.

We have been having a lazy day today. Everything was very quiet - reading books, listening to some music, drinking some coffee - when Julian noticed a rather large man climbing over the rails of our deck.

"Mummy - someone's climbing up!"

Not just one - but two men. After a brief cardiac arrest - I determined they were here to clean the pool. This was how they accessed the pool as to not disturb the tenants. Very considerate. Julian thought it was hilarious.

With limited supplies until our shipment arrives - we are making do with some very creative approaches to food prep. Bread for example can be toasted in the frying pan according to my Dad. Who knew? I have been trying to find a large salad bowl with no luck. Our one and only saucepan has been doubling as serving bowl and mixing bowl. Needless to say - we haven't been doing a lot of entertaining. Thank goodness for the BBQ.

The more time I spend inside the house - the more I pretend I am Charlotte the Interior Designer. Imagining furniture in the space. Where to put the sofa, chairs, coffee table. I think I am having furniture withdrawal.

No comments: